Don’t despair – Berea Tech can transform your hopes for career success into reality
Berea Tech is a college for all types of students – the academically endowed and the less academically endowed.
No matric? No maths? Not satisfied with your marks? None of these scenarios need be a barrier to achieving your dreams with Berea Technical College (Berea Tech).
At Berea Tech, not having a matric is not an obstacle to further study and future success. The college focuses on supporting students to achieve their dreams by offering a comprehensive range of programmes and teaching strategies especially designed and created to help them.
“Many learners, for a variety of reasons, drop out of school between Grades 10 and 12 – and believe that their future prospects are completely dashed,” explains Berea Tech marketing manager, Monty Naidoo.
“Our message to these learners is do not despair. Berea Tech offers programmes that will enable you to develop your skills, gain accredited qualifications in your field and have a successful career. And for those learners who did not achieve the matric marks they need to pursue the degree of their choice, Berea Tech offers qualifications that enable students to transition into degree courses.”
Our Credentials :
We are accredited with the following organisations and bodies:
- DHET -Registration No. 2008/FE07/003 (provisional registration -01 January 2015 to 31 December 2017)
- Umalusi -“Provisionally accredited by Umalusi, Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training -accreditation number 14 FET02 00002 PA”
- QCTO -Accreditation number: QCTO NATED/13/0050
- ISO 9001:2008
- MICT Seta -Accreditation number -ACC/2007/05/251
- ICB -Provider accreditation no: 300130
- ICDL – Centre No: ZA 150925T
To provide quality and cost effective education, training and development in line with South Africa’s national goals.
To be an institution of choice for the provision of quality education that is responsive to the needs of society and demands of the economic sector.
Quality, accessible education
Berea Tech is an independent, specialist institution with a strong focus on electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, business studies, travel and tourism, and information technology.
Its qualifications are aligned to the needs and requirements of the workplace, while being nationally recognised and duly accredited with the relevant quality assuring bodies. As such, Berea Tech courses and qualifications ensure graduates quality employment.
Berea Tech offers the following accredited programmes:
- National (N) Certificates in Engineering (N1 – N6),
- National (N) Certificates in Business Studies (N4 – N6);
- National (N) Certificates in Travel and Tourism (N4 – N6);
- Galileo Certificate (travel and tourism);
- ICDL – International Computer Driving Licence;
- ICB (Institute of Certified Bookkeepers) accredited programmes that range from basic accounting to full financial accounting;
The college is fully registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training and its programmes are accredited with QCTO, Umalusi and MICT-SETA.
It is also an ISO 9001:2008 certified educational institute and as such, is recognised as a provider of proven, quality education.
Strategies for student success
Berea Tech believes in going the extra mile in helping students get the most out of the education and achieve to their full potential. Some of these strategies for success include:
- Extended lecture periods so that more teaching can take place;
- Increased amount and frequency of assessments so that that students’ progress is continuously assessed and if needed, remedial action can be taken straight away;
- Bridging and foundation programmes specifically designed to help students make a successful transition into further education. Students with only maths literacy or with no mathematics who enrolled at Berea Tech, are today successful graduates with fruitful careers;
- CIME (Centre for Innovative Mathematics Education) – holistic programmes that support maths lecturers and learners;
- Focus on communication and understanding of concepts, which is integrated into all mainstream programmes;
- Wi-fi access throughout campus;
- Maths and Physical Sciences lectures made available to students on CD;
- Work integrated learning (WIL) – work readiness programmes using labs and simulation programmes to practically prepare students for the employment environment.
Accredited skills training
Berea Tech has also developed a division that caters primarily for people already within the employment sector who need accredited skills training. Through this division, Seta-accredited unit standard qualifications leading to nationally-accredited NQF level qualifications have been successfully introduced into the college’s qualification line-up.
As a leading private, independent education institution, Berea Tech recognises the achievements and accomplishments of its students with a formal graduation ceremony held in the middle of each year. Great effort is put into this much-anticipated event to ensure graduating students get the opportunity to receive their certificates within a formal academic setting, while sharing the celebration of their success with friends and family.
As a well-established institution, Berea Tech is geared up to provide its students with a complete educational package right from the start. In addition, the college’s fees are highly competitive, with various payment options available. Fees include textbooks, support classes, practical lessons and access to free internet.
National (N) diploma graduates also have access to Berea Tech’s student placement programme, which facilitates employment or in-service training placements for these graduates.
The institution employs a full-time counsellor to assist students in addressing issues of concern affecting them.
As a city campus, Berea Tech has created the perfect ambience conducive to studying and learning. It has used the city as a learning experience, and balanced this with a campus that is fit for its purpose – a unique environment indeed.
The college boasts pleasant rooftop recreational areas where students can relax and socialise inbetween classes. The only student rooftop of its kind in the Durban CBD, it adds an extra dimension to student life at Berea Tech, where academic activities are punctuated with various popular student events held throughout the year.
Aligned to the needs and requirements of the workplace, Berea Tech’s accredited courses and qualifications enable students to develop their skills, access quality employment opportunities and build successful careers.